LaLionne

Soul Stripper
Katana Collins
Promise Me Darkness
Paige Weaver
Good
S. Walden
Six Years
Harlan Coben
Left Drowning
Jessica Park
Twice Tempted - Jeaniene Frost I still don't understand what happened to the characters I met in the first book.
I really enjoyed the first book. I liked both Vlad and Leila. I loved the whole mystery surrounding his character, his darkness, his arrogance and his possessive unapologetic behavior. I loved Leila's innocence, her bravery and her struggle to understand and control her powers. I also like that she feared him, but at the same time felt this uncontrollable pull towards him.

But in this book I almost didn't recognized her. She was whiny, demanding, constantly nagging him. What I dislike the most about this book was the fact that she made her decisions based on assumptions instead of actual facts.

For me, the story started to go south pretty early in the book.

- WARNING SPOILERS -

The whole scene with the ring was ridiculous. I understand why she would assume that, but her reaction to it was very childish. First of all, if there was anything to be pissy about it was the fact that he wanted to turn her into a vampire. But she didn't dwell on it for very long. She started to nag him why he haven't said I love you to her. Let's back up a little. When she first saw the jewelry box she started to squirm in her seat and couldn't wait to say "yes" even without his I love you, so why complain about it afterwards?
Vlad have lived, loved, hated, suffered and killed for hundreds of years. He's a vampire who doesn't live by our mortal rules. I would say she had a thing or two to learn from him. I was on his side when it came to the whole I love you thing.

"Words." His tone sharpened. "I shared my house, my bed, and my blood with you, as well as offered you a place in my life forever. What are words compared to that?"

He was trying to tell her that actions speak louder than words, which is true, but she was still stomping her foot and pushing him to tell her that he loved her. And when he didn't she told him it was over. It was so annoying.

Another thing that I didn't like was cartoon-like descriptions. Which made it hard for me to get into the story and take it seriously. Leila comparing the remains on a deck to a lasagna and the crime scene at the hotel she compared to a Swiss cheese. You've got to be kidding me? I expected to be scared, grossed out or creeped out, but it was written to sound like an anecdote. It's a story about a prince of darkness, is it not? Not an episode of The Simpsons.

I thought that her constantly calling him ex-boyfriend completely ruined and emasculated his character. Why don't you just call him Vlad? But she made it sound like he was some nerdy boy next door.

Here are some of "WTH" lines:

"Come on, I silently urged. Drill, baby, drill!"
"I'd soon smell like eau de slut."

Then, there was a reason why Vlad brought her back to Romania for the second time.

"If I do nothing when someone attempts to blow up and then kidnap my former lover, my enemies will think I'm weak and attack more of my people."

But that is the complete apposite. Your enemies will think you are week if you try to hide every ex lover you ever had. It shows your weakness. Isn't that what they do, exploit them? The author needed to come up with a better reason for him to bring her with him, because this one didn't make any sense.

Then, the scene where her sister slapped her. Is that the first thing you do after you find out your sister Is alive?
Don't even get me started on the whole wedding thing. It was beyond silly.
First, it was to late, then too soon and then not soon enough.
Suddenly the I love you's started flying left and right, and the proposal out of the blue. And, the wedding, which had to happen the same day. The dress got designed and made the same day. Vlad also managed to invite 2000 people in that short amount of time. One day!

- END OF SPOILERS -

They managed to completely forget that there was a killer on a loose, hungry for revenge.
The only characters I liked was Vlad and her father, who was a man of reason. I didn't finished the book, I stopped at 61% because I just couldn't take anymore of that silliness.

I'm sorry to say, but I won't be reading anymore books in the series. But I hear that Jeanine's Frost Night Huntress series is quite good, I'll go and try that instead.