LaLionne

Soul Stripper
Katana Collins
Promise Me Darkness
Paige Weaver
Good
S. Walden
Six Years
Harlan Coben
Left Drowning
Jessica Park
The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison ***2 stars***
description

Out of respect for the author, who's no longer with us, I'll try to refrain myself from ranting like I usually do when I don't enjoy the book, and give only my honest opinion.

I saw this book mentioned in the article, when I was looking for a thriller to read. I was in the mood for something dark and twisted and stumbled upon couple of articles where this book was described as the "next big thing" and "this summers Gone Girl". But the thing that got me was this:

“With a spare, elegant, and deft hand, she paints two dueling psychological portraits of longtime live-in lovers who become putative killer and hapless victim in a tale that no one is likely to forget any time soon.

Sounds good, doesn't it?
Some of the reviews said it was just as good as Gone Girl, others said it was even better. So I dove in.

I personaly found this book extremely boring. It's a story about a relationship gone wrong. That's the only similarity to Gone girl.
There was very little dialogue. In some chapter there was no dialogue at all, apart from few lines of it when she was remembering something from her past. Imagine reading a whole chapter (16 to 27 pages) without a line of a dialogue. I found wife's character robotic and uninteresting. In the chapters told from wife's pov she goes on and on describing how she made dinner, washed the dishes, walked the dog, drove the car and endless descriptions of surrounding. Almost in every chapter her husband comes home and she says "Dinner is almost ready. Can you make drinks?".

Then we have her husband. He is pretty much the same. He comes home, eats and goes to bed, wakes up and goes to work. They never talk about anything interesting. They talk about her and his day at work, which I also found boring. He says he cares about her, but I never felt it. I felt no love or chemistry between them. Not even in the parts from their past, were they just started dating. You see that their relationship is falling apart, but I didn't feel the hate either. The story was lacking emotions from both characters. Give me something, hate, love, fear, heartache, sadness, something. There was nothing trilling or suspenseful about their relationship and this whole story. He is a cheating scumbag, and absolutely clueless to what's going on around him.

I thought the writing was monotonic. Even the parts where something happened, where I should have gone "WTH?", were describes in the same tone as her washing dishes or walking a dog.
I didn't like that the ending was given away on the first page, suspense and mystery went with it. A lot of her conversations with her shrink could have done with out. Except from one part, the rest was completely irrelevant and added nothing to the story. Same as her telling her husband about her clients or remembering her brother. I didn't understand how that was relevant.

I see that majority of readers enjoyed this book. I did not. I've read quite a few psychological thrillers and I don't see this book as being one. Yes, someone did die in the book, but it was written in a way that it didn't feel important or angsty. A psychological triller should take a reader on an emotional roller coaster ride, should leave you guessing all throughout the book. How can you do that if the ending is given away on the first page?

After I read the book, I felt tricked and cheated. For the life of me I can't understand why this book is being compared to Gone girl. It's simply a story about marriage gone wrong, that's all. The book description implies that it's a dark and twisted read, and it's not. I also don't get why the book is called The Silent Wife, they aren't even married.

But I know my RB Alex loved it. I'm sure she have plenty of good things to say about it :). Here you can read her review, if she ever decides to post one :-).

BR with Alex, aka Space Lover.
If you ask me for space one more time...
description